It’s been 10 hours since I’ve seen the Batman V Superman trailer…
After sleeping on it, I can say that the trailer wasn’t the greatest. But it does have beautiful geek moments.
Watch it here if you haven’t watched it yet.
Compared to the excellent Comic-Con trailer, it was always going to pale in comparison, but at the end of the day, it’s still a good trailer.
I should let you guys know these two things first.
- I’ve been team Batfleck since Day 1.
- I’m not a fan of Man of Steel. I know it has some pretty awesome fans out there, but it wasn’t for me.
I had a lot of thoughts on this second trailer, too big for a Facebook status update, so I decided it would be fitting to make a frank article about my feelings toward it.
Here’s what I thought:
1. Ben Affleck is nearly perfect as Bruce Wayne/Batman, but they need to raise the levels on his vocals. He’s trying so hard not to sound like “Ben Affleck” he’s almost too soft spoken.
2. I thought the beginning of the trailer was a little too much, but then again, I love the comics and seeing Bruce and Clark meet for the first time at a Lex Luthor party actually makes sense.
3. Jesse Eisenberg is going to kill it as Lex. He looks like he’s having such a damn good time.
4. Jump cuts to appease the music only works 1/3 of the time and this is one of those times when jump cuts didn’t work in the trailer’s favor.
5. Some of the dialogue is great but it went over my head at first.
“I’ve had a bad history with freaks dressed like clowns.” is the one line that I’m ashamed I didn’t catch at first.
Maybe I was too tired but they showed Superman when Bruce said that and I was like “Superman doesn’t look that much like a clown…oh wait…the joker. Ah I get it.”
6. The entire movie is not spoiled. They still have to show Clark’s life in Metropolis, Batman being Batman, Cyborg, The Flash, the scenes that involve Gal Gadot at the party and other places, and they didn’t even show the whole prologue yet.
7. I got really giddy when Henry Cavill said, “If I wanted it, you’d be dead already!”
Not only does it almost make Man of Steel‘s Zod death scene worth it, this is the first time I felt like I was watching Superman. He doesn’t want to kill and acknowledging he can kill Batman in an instant is comic book nirvana.
8. I’m so glad to see Amy Adams and Jesse Eisenberg in the same scene together. Hopefully it will make up for her lackluster scenes in Man of Steel.
9. The CGI needs more work. I hate saying that, but it’s 2015 and we should be able to make things look almost flawless. If Life of Pi can make a Tiger look real, we should be able to make explosions look almost passable.
10. BATMAN MAKES SUPERMAN BLEED! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!
11. “If man won’t kill God, the Devil will do it!” – Lex Luthor. Yes it was very hamfisted and on the nose, but hey, Jesse Eisenberg sold it.
12. I know the internet has been making some lame jokes about Doomsday. We get it. It doesn’t look comic book perfect yet people constantly complain that Comic Book Movies are way too cartoonish.
Doomsday only looks like that because it’s a bastard version of Doomsday and Michael Shannon. It will look more epic once it keeps fighting, because it evolves the more it fights.
13. HUMOR! I know some of the humor in the trailer was cliche, especially the “I thought she was with you?” line, but come on! Isn’t nice to see them crack a few jokes? I think so.
14. WONDER WOMAN! Say it again…WONDER WOMAN! I personally think she looks freaking awesome and I love that she is front and center.
I feel like there is more to this fight than the trailer is giving away. I guarantee you that this scene and scenes after will satisfy you in many ways.
15. The ending shot is wonderful, but I would’ve liked to see Ben Affleck a little closer to Gal Gadot, but that’s just me nitpicking.
16. The trailer music ends and then BEGINS AGAIN for a split second.
It was a little too sudden and scared me more than thrilled me.
17. I give the trailer a B, a step down from the A- I gave to the comic-con trailer. But hey, it was a good trailer, it was just a little too imperfect at times.